2010/06/22

A dream is born, briefly nurtured, and stored away

Many more years ago than I care to admit, I learned to sail at a small trade school in Annapolis, MD.  The school sits on the Severn River near it's confluence with the Chesapeake Bay.  There I learned the pointy end from the square end, bights and bowlines, starboard tack and red, right, returning aboard a 44' Luders Yawl.  There a deep and abiding love of the ocean was born.  After graduation I taught sailing and raced 19' Lightning's and my new bride and I bare boat chartered a 32' Irwin center-cockpit yawl for our honeymoon.  (That week will someday be the subject of another blog entry). 

Then professional and personal responsibilities set in and the love of sailing and dream of one day owning my own boat got packed away by sheer necessity.  After a few years the SAIL magazine subscription died and the dream drifted further away. 


No complaints, then or now.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to read of your adventures. I know how long you have wanted this dream to come to life. I thank you for all you gave us growing up and putting your dream aside...I know you wouldn't change anything and that is what makes this new adventure in your life that much more exciting! I love you mom and dad.

    ReplyDelete