2010/06/26

Notes from the Galley

Since the galley will probably be my domain for the most part, thought I would chime in about this whole boat buying experience.  I am very excited about the prospect of having a place to relax and visit different places.  Not as seasoned a sailor as my husband by a long shot, this is still a great adventure we are beginning.
    Not having sailed in anything really until I met Andy back in 1974, my first real experience was when he bare-boat chartered a 32 1/2 ft Irwin in the British Virgin Islands for our honeymoon.  I was very surprised to realize that I was going to be living a week of my life on a slant as the only boats I had ever been on before were power boats for fishing.  Boy was I surprised.  After I got over the feeling that we were going to tip over at any moment, I found that I enjoyed the sound of the wind in the sails far more than the slap of a boat bottom on the top of the water when going at speed.  Andy has been a good and patient teacher and I still have an idea of how this whole thing should work and even after over 35 years, I can still recall what most everything is called and how it is suppose to work.  As long as I have something to make coffee in the morning (I'm half Norwegian so there has to be coffee) and a place for beer to be kept cold, I'm OK with just about anything else.  Oh, yeah, and a place for at least one of our dogs. 
    Should be fun.  I'll help keep you up to date on our progress.
 Actually this is from Eva, although I posted under Andy's name.

No comments:

Post a Comment